The Organizer allows you to save customized project settings. You can easily share these customization with your other projects. You can use this feature to utilize specific, defined customization for your organization, division, or department work groups; or you may find that you just want to use it for your own purpose to save time when creating your own individual project plans.
The Organizer can be used to copy customized items from one project file to another. You~an also use the Organizer to rename items or delete an item that you no longer need. Figure 21.12 displays the Organizer dialog box, and Table 21.3 lists the different types of objects you can change in the Organizer. To access the Organizer, choose Tools >- Organizer from the Menu bar.
Copying Items from One Project to Another
The Organizer is the ideal place to copy items from one project to another. The following example copies a calendar from the Global template to the Coor care project file. You can pull calendars from other sources by choosing different project files_from the drop-down lists located at the bottom of the calendar tab. In the example shown
in Figure 21.13, the two fields are labeled Calendars Available In because the Calendar tab is displayed. Other tabs in the Organizer have similar fields.
Follow these steps to copy an item:
1. When copying an item to another file, you need to make sure that. the target file is open.
2. Choose Tools > Organizer.
3. In the Organizer dialog box, choose the tab that contains the item you want to copy. Figure 21.13 shows the Calendars tab .
4. Choose the item you want to copy from in the dialog box. Copy the 24 hours setting by selecting it from the left side of the screen.
5. Click the Copy button. If there is already an item same name in the target file, a message appears that asks you to you want to overwrite the existing item (see Figure 21.14). Choose Yes to replace the item in the target file or use Rename to save it to the target file with a different name.
6. Click the Close button located in the middle of the dialog box to close the Organizer
Renaming Items with the Organizer
If you want to rename an item, such as a calendar that exists in a project file, you must use the Organizer.
Follow these steps to rename items:
1. Choose Tools >- Organizer.
2. In the Organize dialog OOK, cao(Jse the tab that contains the item you want to rename.
3. Choose the Item you wish to rename.
4. Click the Rename button. The Rename dialog box opens.
5. Type the new name for the item.
6. Click the OK button.
7. Click the Close button located in the middle of the dialog box to close the Organizer.
The Organizer is also the only way to delete customized items.
Follow these steps to delete an item:
1. Choose Tools >- Organizer.
2. in the Organizer dialog box, choose the tab that contains the item you want to delete.
3. Choose the Item you wish to delete.
4. Click the Delete button. The Delete confirmation box appears
5. Click the Yes button to complete the deletion of the item.
6. Click the Close button located in the middle of the dialog box
Setting options, designing tool bars, and using templates are all valuable ways to adapt Project to the way you work. In Chapter 22, “Creating Project 2000 Macros,” you’ll learn how to use macros to automate Project so that it no only adapts to the way you work but actually makes your work easier .