You can update most project data by using the Tracking table in Task Sheet view. This view contains the Actual Start (Act. Start) and Finish (Act. Finish), Percent Complete (% Comp.), Actual Duration (Act. Dur.), Remaining Duration (Rem. Our.), Actual Cost (Act. Cost), and Actual Work (Act. Work) fields. You Gin enter data into every column except the Actual Costs column. This is, by default, a calculated column. See “Updating Actual Costs,” later in the chapter, to see how to enter values in this field.
To switch to the Task Sheet/Tracking Table view, follow these steps:
1. Choose View> More Views> Task Sheet. Click OK.
2. Choose Views> Table> Tracking.
To enter date data into the table, follow these steps:
1. Click the cell you want to enter date data into, such as Act. Start.
2. Click the down arrow to select Iidate from the drop-down calendar.
To enter numeric values in fields such as % Completed and Act. Our follow these steps:
1. Click the cell you want to enter numeric values into.
2. Use the up and down arrows on the spin box controls to change the values or type a number in the cell.
Using the Tracking Toolbar
The Tracking toolbar, shown in Figure 12.2, is a tool bar filled with useful shortcuts to help you update project information. Table 12.1 describes the function of each toolbar button.
Using the Update Tasks Dialog Box
In the Update Tasks dialog box, shown in Figure 12.4, you can enter % Complete, Actual Duration, Remaining Duration, Actual Start and Finish, and Notes. You can access this dialog box from the Tracklng toolbar and from the menu by clicking T~ls > Tracking>
If you are on schedule, you cari quickly update the completed tasks in the project to 100% by choosing Tools >- Tracking >- Update Project. This opens the Update Project dialog box
Updating Tasks for the Enter Project
To.update tasks for the entire project up through a specified date by using the Update Project dialog box, follow these steps:
1. On the View menu, click Gantt, Chart.
2. Click the Tools menu and choose Tracking >- Update Project.
3. Click Update Work as Complete Through and then type or select the date through which you want progress updated.
4. Click Set 0% or 100% Complete Only.
S. Select Entire Project.,
6. Click OK.
Entering Percent Complete
In addition to the Update Tasks and Update Projects dialog box, you can update Percent Complete, using the Tracking toolbar, by selecting the tasks you want to update and clicking the appropriate % Complete button (see “Using the Tracking Toolbar,” later in this chapter).
Finally, you can update Percent Complete by dragging the left side of the Gantt bar. When you pornt to the left side of a bar on the Gantt Chart, the pointer changes to a % symbol with a right-pointing arrow. Drag that arrow over the Gantt bar until the correct Complete Through date appears in the Information box that opens
Tracking Time phased Actual Work
You can manually enter timephased actual work, or you can let Project enter it automatically based on data entered by resources in TeamStatus reports. If you want to enter timephased actual work manually, or if you want to review timephased work enter through TeamStatus reports, follow these steps:
1. Switch to Task Usage View (View > Task Usage).
2. Choose the Tracking table (View >Tables :>Tracking).
3. Click Pormat >Details, and select Actual Work.
the timephased actual work was entered manually on a daily basis.